In 1149 Orlib de Monjoie, bishop of Basel, consecrated the Romanesque church of Alschpach. The builders of the church are not known, but its portal, arcades and sculptures bear witness to the energy and creative skills of the craftsmen of the time. The Benedictine monks from Hirsau in Soabia came to live in this new monastery. Today, a paper factory is located in the peaceful monastery area around the remains of the church. Thanks to the initiative of a few history buffs, the understanding of the owner and the management of the factory, it was possible to free the remains from industrial bondage in 1972. A rehabilitation programme was then carried out. Today, the abbey is only open to the public in June and September for special exhibitions.
- SatNav Coordinates